While it appears that there are no records available as to the exact date our church was started, we know that in 1882 or 1883, Reverend J.W. Loose, a pastor in Carleton, Michigan, began preaching in the South Rockwood community. The church was then known as the South Rockwood Evangelical Church.
The present church edifice was erected in 1884, under the ministry of Reverend H. Spitler, the cost being about $5,000. In 1940, a basement was constructed under the church, giving much needed facilities for the Sunday School. The total cost of the basement project, including a new heating plant, was $3,216. Reverend G.C. Murbach was pastor during this period. During the pastorate of Reverend J. Schurman, a kitchen with limited facilities was established.
In 1946, the Evangelical Churches merged with the United Brethren Churches. Both branches of the church were born out of the evangelistic passion of the founders.
In 1953-54, with the development of the Detroit-Toledo expressway, the parsonage was taken and a new property was purchased for parsonage purposes. During this year, an electric organ was purchased by the Builder's Class. During the period of 1954-57, the basement was tiled and painted, the church completely redecorated, new carpeting laid, new chancel furniture purchased, and new lighting installed. The church was rededicated. In 1957, the Ladies' Aid and W.S.W.S. became a unified society with three circles.
For many years, because of the similarities between the two churches in policy and belief, there had been talk of the possible merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and Methodist Churches. Interest in this possibility grew in the 1960's and in 1966 preliminary discussions looking toward union were taking place. Union became a reality in Dallas, Texas on April 28, 1968, and was the largest Protestant merger in the country to date. The requisite negotiations were carried out so well that the merger was an exceptionally smooth one with few churches remaining outside of it.
In 1967, Reverend Joseph Shaw was appointed to South Rockwood. During his ministry the EUB merged with the Methodist Churches. During Reverend Shaw's period of service, a parcel of land was purchased on Armstrong Road for a future church site. Reverend Zina Bennett, the pastor at that time, dedicated the property on June 27, 1976.
Pastoral Service Directory:
Reverend H. Spitler, 1884 - 1886
Reverend A. A. Scheurer, 1886 - 1889
Reverend P. Scheurer, 1889 - 1892
Reverend J. J. Schuknecht, 1892 - 1894
Reverend A. A. Scheurer, 1894 - 1897
Reverend A. M. Haddix, 1897 - 1899
Reverend F. E. Armstrong, 1899 - 1902
Reverend F. J. Feather, 1902 - 1906
Reverend J. M. Bittner, 1906 - 1908
Reverend W. L. Martin, 1908 - 1910
Reverend E. L. Marsh, 1910 - 1912
Reverend D. C. Brown, 1912 - 1913
Reverend George Hall, 1913 - 1915
Reverend F. Koehler, 1915 - 1920
Reverend A. A. Scheurer 1920
Reverend J. Riebel, 1920 - 1924
Reverend L. F. Burkey, 1924 - 1926
Reverend E. C. Braun, 1926 - 1933
Reverend S. P. Kirn, 1933 - 1938
Reverend W. H. Fairchild, 1938 - 1940
Reverend G. C. Murbach, 1940 - 1945
Reverend J. Schurman, 1945 - 1950
Reverend L. R. Taylor, 1950 - 1953
Reverend Robert Schurman, 1953 - 1954
Reverend Walter Ladley, 1954 - 1958
Reverend Fred Knecht, 1958 - 1962
Reverend G. Ball, 1962 - 1967
Reverend J. Shaw, 1967 - 1975
Reverend Z. Bennett, 1975 - 1983
Reverend R. C. Strobridge, 1983 - 1988
Reverend D. Strall, 1988 - 1997
Reverend P. D. Voss, 1997 - 2002
Reverend E. A. Librande, 2002 - 2006
Reverend Stephen K. Perrine, 2006 - 2020
Reverend Ann Birchmeier, 2020 - 2022
Reverend Dale Milford, 2022